Sunday, November 12, 2017

My Daughter Speaks

     Once again, it has been an eventful week.  Love and support has come from family and friends.  We so much appreciate it.  But there have also been some not so fun times.  My daughter, Amy, is here tonight.  I admire her so much.  She is strong and brave.  Amy says what she means and means what she says.  I've told her many times that I wanna be just like her when I grow up!
     Amy has had to deal with a lot in her 21 years.  A lot more than she ever should have.  It breaks my heart.  But she has learned more from it already than I did in the same amount of time.  I'm going to let her tell some of her story now.
     "This doesn't concern you at all, you're an adult.  It doesn't affect you."  These were just a few of the words sternly spoken to me after a certain somebody heard that I shared a blog post that exposed who he really is.  Who he's always been.  I was told I was only on her side because of what she said in a simple blog post.  As if I didn't see it happening with my own eyes my whole life.  If that post was never written, it wouldn't change the absolute accuracy of everything in it.  
     Sorry bro, it's not derogatory towards you if it's all true.  Conversation over.
     The thing is, I've been telling people for years.  Long before my mom ever did.  Growing up, people would always tell me how cool they thought he was and I'd openly explain why he wasn't.  The only difference here is that he found out about it.  There comes a point when the choices you make stop being mistakes and start becoming a lifestyle.  And he's been in this game for a ridiculously long time.  It's not just something he does, it's literally the definition of who he is.  
     I moved away for college one hundred and ten percent because of their relationship.  One week they'd be together and the next they weren't.  It was the most exhausting, childish thing I had ever come in contact with and I didn't want to be anywhere near it.  I resented my mom for years.  I always told her to get away from him, but no matter what I said, she wanted her marriage to work and that was that.  
     Bottom line, if you treat people like trash, they have every right to blast you on the internet.  "All she does is write her blog."  To him it's 'just some blog.'  To people who don't understand, it will always be 'just some blog.'  But it's so much more than that.  It's therapy.  It's letting out all the emotions she's conditioned herself to forget until now.  
     I honestly feel like I just met my mom.  Yes, it could have happened sooner.  But I have absolute faith that everything happens when it's supposed to happen.  His timing is always perfect and I will always trust in that.  
     Thank you. :)
     Wow.  I just read what my daughter wrote.  We hugged and cried.  I told her I was sorry and she said it was ok.  She was spot on when she wrote about choices becoming a lifestyle and not just a mistake.  She wasn't even in the service with me this morning when the pastor said that it's choices, not chances, that determine our destiny.
     Choices.  We are choosing to heal.  To learn each other.  To be a family.  A real family.  Finally.  We know it won't be easy.  But the growth we have experienced these last few weeks has definitely been well worth it.  And we are so thankful.

4 comments:

  1. Excellently spoken....And that’s what I’m learning as well, we all have a choice (and some of mine as of recent have not been the best 😬) but still, they were mine and only mine! I claim them and I own them (unlike some people) I truly hate what this sweet family has been through all these many years, and yes I contributed to their anguish (something I am not proud of), but out of all this pain and agony, I have received a precious gift...a friend, true friend! She and her kids have taught me so much about foregiveness and so much more, and for that I am truly blessed and thankful. Amy, you are a true inspiration to me, not afraid to speak your mind and say how you feel...and that’s OK! Remember sweet girl, respect is earned...and some people have never earned that respect. I’m honored to be in “Cahoots” with y’all 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Our God is doing new and amazing things. It’s so hard to not have any regrets. But like Amy said, things happen when they are supposed to. In His time. And I’m excited to see what else He has in store for us! There may be some rough roads. But He has already proven He won’t leave us. He is with us. We truly know the meaning of being blessed!

      Delete
  2. I work with your daughter, and she's truly an amazing person. Amy is smart, exceptionally funny and has this personality that shines though everything. I appreciate that you,your daughter and your family can share this truth, and begin to heal. It's a long road but something tells me y'all will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! Yes, Amy is one of a kind and I’m blessed that she is mine! Thank you for your kind words. Yes, our family is starting to heal. And I believe God has big plans for us!

      Delete