Sunday, October 22, 2017

Mother-in-Law

     So I was sitting in church today when I noticed a local yogurt place sent me a text that started ‘Happy Mother-in-law day!’  I didn’t even know such a thing existed. But why not?  We celebrate ice cream, coffee and even macaroni.  So why not celebrate mothers-in-law?
     In 1989 I became the daughter-in-law to two very different women at the same time. One I’m sure I’ve written about before. I took care of her in her declining years and many people thought I was her daughter and not her daughter-in-law. The day she left this earth I stayed with her from that morning until she made her journey home just before midnight that night. I sang to her. Prayed for her. Talked to her. Tried to make sure she was as comfortable as possible. Just before she drew her last breath, she looked towards me and said ‘bye-bye’.  What an honor. To be the last person on earth she spoke to.
    My other mother-in-law went to Heaven just a few months later.  She absolutely loved decorating for every holiday.  Not long ago I was gifted some of her fall and Christmas decorations. As I looked through these treasures, I remembered holidays where this or that one was on display. Yesterday, as I was putting some of them out around my house, I missed her. I could here her calling me ‘hun’ and offering advice. I could feel the comfort of her home and the joy of our friendship.
     Ruth had an amazing mother-in-law. Naomi. And she chose to stay with her no matter what. She didn’t abandon her. Ruth was rewarded for her faithfulness. Ruth has a very amazing descendent. His name is Jesus Christ. Savior of the World. Who would have imagined that could even happen?    That’s how our God works. He uses the least likely.  And aren’t we glad He does!
     Mother-in-law day.  Interesting concept. I have been one blessed daughter-in-law.  And I hope, if I ever get to be a mother-in-law, that I will do my best to let the Lord use me to be a blessing too.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment