Sunday, May 5, 2019

"Mom"

     I think it was probably 27 years ago when I heard it.  Pretty sure it was the first time.  She was a young mother of 3 little boys and was probably stressed just a wee little bit when she said it.  But still.  It stuck with me.....all....these....years.....
    "Mom!" the little voice said.   "I think I'll change my name" she quickly stated.  Out loud even.  Being a fairly new mom myself, I just couldn't imagine thinking that, let alone saying it.  I had waited until I was getting close to 30 before I ever got to be called "Mom".  So I hoped she didn't mean it.
     Just a few short years later, she had taken her leave as 'mom'.  Today I couldn't tell you what her relationship is with those boys.  But I do know another lady came into the picture a while after her departure.  A lady who welcomed the opportunity to be their mom, along with being the mom of her own son.
     For over 20 years now, she has gladly, proudly, and sometimes heart brokenly, been mom.  While I haven't lived in their home or listened through their walls, I know it hasn't always been easy.  But she has done everything she could to fulfill the role of mom in their lives.  And now she's greatly rewarded by getting to be grandma to their kids!  The love she shows them all is admirable.  And she never gives up.
     Mom.  Going back to that phrase from 27 years ago about the mom wanting to change her name because she heard 'mom' too much.  I've thought about that so many times over the years.  And I just can't imagine even saying those words out of frustration.  The greatest gift God has ever given me, outside of salvation of course, is the gift of motherhood.
     Mom.  Momma. Mommy.  Mother.  Mums.  Hey You, even!  I love hearing from my kids.  I love when they come to me for guidance or just to talk.  FaceTime.  Text.  Tagged.  Snapchat (still trying to figure that one out). Whatever the means.  I just love connecting with them.
     There were days I never thought I would get to be a mom.  Then it happened and I didn't really know what it meant even though I loved it.  But today I'm learning.  We've been through a lot, my kids and I.  But we're getting to know each other, and ourselves, better now.
     Living life is more than caring what other people think.  It's more than judging what others do.  It's loving Jesus, and loving the people He puts in our lives.  I've learned that God didn't make me a mom to make me happy.  He made me a mom to bring Him glory.  To raise up children in the way they should go.
    Do my kids and I always agree? Oh my, no!  But they have taught me so much.  Like that not judging others part.  Like not caring what others think.  I've learned those things from them.  They make me a better person.  They help strengthen my faith (and yes due in part to lots of praying for them), and they lift me up.
     Mom.  I recently told someone that I love being their mom.  The response was "I can tell!"  I hope people always can tell.
     

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, beautiful attitude, dear Kim. I have also been puzzled by parents who seem to lack joy in being a mom or dad. God sees those hurting children. 🍃🕊️💙
    Blessings - Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Yes He does see those precious hurting children. And loves us all with the same amazing love. He’s a good, good Father. 💕

      Delete
  2. Bon article. j'apprécie beaucoup votre site internet

    ReplyDelete