Sunday, January 14, 2018

Please Don’t Throw Me In That Briar Patch!

     Have you ever read any of the Uncle Remus stories?  Well, the Uncle Remus story of  Brer Rabbit and the tar baby keeps coming to my mind lately. Not that I’m a huge Uncle Remus fan or anything. But because I am so happy in my briar patch!
     You see, I’ve realized lately that I am a lot like Brer Rabbit in that story and I didn’t even realize it til now. That being said, the story goes that Brer Fox basically set a trap for Brer Rabbit. Brer Fox knew just what to do to trap Brer Rabbit. And he caught him. Brer Rabbit got stuck on a ‘tar baby’ Brer Fox had set out beside the road. After catching him, Brer Fox wanted to torture Brer Rabbit in the worst possible way and thought out loud about just how to do that. Now  Brer Rabbit figured out how to out  fox Brer Fox. Every time Brer Fox would name a torture, Brer Rabbit would agree but add ‘please don’t throw me in that briar patch’.
     Of course Brer Fox did just that. He threw Brer Rabbit in the briar patch. Right where Brer Rabbit wanted to be. Because that was his home. Where he was born and raised.
      While I haven’t done one thing to trick Brer Fox, I can say that home is right were I want to be. At home. My home.  I love my home.  And I love being at home.
     It took me a while, but I’ve started remembering. Remembering how I had plans when I bought my first house. To live in it alone and then adopt kids. I never planned to get married. But, the next thing I knew, he was always there and proposing. When I wanted to wait six months to get married, he refused to wait. So we got married in 6 days instead.  I had owned my own home for just over a month and was already married.
     I remember wondering just what I had done only  hours after the wedding. But I had made vows and I would keep them. Even though something didn’t feel right. Something wasn’t complete. Brer Fox had gotten his way. And I didn’t have a lot of choice in the matter. I was stuck on the tar baby.  And I had no way out.
     Over the years, things got crazier. Brer Fox tried to hide indiscretions from some people but bragged about them to others.  I raised a family.  (And I wouldn’t change that part!  I have the best kids!) He kept telling me how people didn’t like me. But I’ve recently discovered that it’s him they didn’t like. That’s a story for another day.  I was still stuck to the tar baby Brer Fox had set out, unable to breathe at times. Wanting out of the pain and struggles but afraid and believing I had no choice.  And the more I struggled the more stuck I got.
     Unfortunately, my release from the tar baby trap didn’t come as quickly as Brer Rabbit’s. But, when I realized recently that I’m right where I want to be, I felt like Brer Rabbit outsmarting Brer Fox!   For years I was afraid of being alone. Then, recently, I remembered I LOVE being alone!
     The evenings I spend by myself are lovely!  I’m not being punished or pining away for love. I can clean house when I want. Decorate how I want. Sleep late on Saturdays. Leave when I want. Come home when I want. Just like I had planned almost 29 years ago when Brer Fox set out that tar baby to trap me in the first place.
     There are times I don’t talk to or hear from anyone, other than the Lord, for hours. Other days I’ve communicated with all 5 kids, friends, relatives, and then some. And that’s all right. Like Brer Rabbit, I’m in my briar patch!  No longer afraid, but happy. Joyful. Thankful. And looking forward to the future. God knew I would be happy in this life. And I’m glad I’m in my sweet little briar patch.

2 comments:

  1. While it’s not likely the answer you were expecting from God several years ago when we first crossed paths, it is good to see things come full circle for you, dear sister.

    Rest in the Lord, and He will be everything you need. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jason! The amazing things God is doing in my life are just that...amazing! Thank you for your prayers and counsel over the years. I still believe God has a plan. And my focus is Him, not circumstances. Praising Him!

      Delete