Monday, November 11, 2013

Intentionally Naturally Blonde

   9 1/2 NB (Natural Blonde).  That's what it says on the box.  So yes.  In that respect I am a natural blonde.  And over the last few years, more and more people have come to describe me as a blonde....for more than just my hair color I'm afraid.
     Over the years my hair has been just about every possible color that I could get by with and still be considered a soccer mom and banker.  And the lady with short red hair on my drivers license, well I'm not sure I even know her anymore!  When I announced a few years ago that I was going to just let it go gray, my youngest son told me I had to go blonde first to make the transition to gray easier.  So becoming blonde was originally the avenue I was going to take to become a gray haired middle aged woman.
     Like many women in their 40s, I had concluded that my best years were behind me.  That I would always be a bit overweight and it was time to dress the part of a grandmother, even though I am still not even today a grandmother at 52.  I had also bought into the idea that women past a certain age must always keep their hair short because having long hair made them look older.  So when I began my transformation into blonde-hood, my new look got lots of attention.
     Because my desk is in an area that is seen by pretty much everyone who enters our office, a good number of our customers know me.  Actually, I love my customers!  We tease, we talk, we pray for each other.  I guess our familiarity is why they felt comfortable commenting on the new me.  A co-worker, who started to work after my transformation began, asked one day "What is it about your hair?  Someone mentions it at least once a day!"  I showed her my drivers license.  "OOHHH!!!!"
     I still laugh when I hear someone refer to me as "that blonde at the desk" or "that hot blonde".  Now that one is REALLY funny!!!!!!!  While I have lost weight and gotten into shape, I can't help but wonder, if I didn't have long blonde hair would I be referred to as "hot"?  I kinda doubt it.
     Being blonde has it's advantages in many ways though.  I really do have more fun!  Maybe it's party my age.  Maybe it's my stage in life.  Maybe when I color my hair every 4 to 6 weeks the chemicals soak thru to my brain.  Or maybe there really is just something about being blonde.  Whatever the reason, I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment