Sunday, September 21, 2014

You've Got to be Kidding! (Leather Jackets, Brett Favre and Hooters)


      While on our vacation/anniversary celebration trip last month, my husband and I were advised by a very nice hotel clerk in Jackson that a trip to the Outlet of Mississippi in Pearl would be well worth the trip.  Now I'm not really much of a shopper, well except for shoes of course, but when hubby and I shop together we usually have a blast.  It's like we turn into George Burns and Gracie Allen when talking with the clerk at the register.  (If you're really young, look them up.  You'll know what I mean.) Never knowing what the other will say yet being able to play off of pretty much anything, we leave the clerks laughing pretty much every time.

If it looks like leather and smells like leather, it's leather right?

     After going to a couple of high-end stores with high-end prices (it may have been an outlet but most of their prices were uptown prices) we found ourselves in a leather store.  It was so obviously a leather store by the smell that even blindfolded we would have known it was a leather store.  The prices were absolutely amazing and  we couldn't believe that they could sell leather at such low prices!
     Browsing through  purses and other leather goods,  I found an adorable red leather jacket that I just couldn't imagine leaving without.  I probably could have found a few more things but I really wanted hubby to get a jacket as well.  For the last couple of years, except while on duty, he's been wearing a gray furry Columbia jacket.  With dress clothes, jeans, or even wind pants, he would zip it up high, looking like a gray bear of some sorts.  And, as you can imagine, he has been called Mr. Rogers a time or two with that jacket closed almost all the way up.  So I convinced him to try on a jacket that was absolutely gorgeous on him!  The friendly clerk was so willing to knock off another 20 bucks from the already 75% off that we just had to go ahead and buy it.   As we had never had jackets quite that nice, I asked for care instructions.  The clerk readily handed out advise for our new leather purchases.  He also told us about his photo album of former girlfriends and about places he had visited in our state.
    We shared some laughs and left the store, proudly carrying our new leather jackets. We thought we had pulled off our usual check out counter show.  After all, we got a good deal and left the clerk smiling.  We continued to  think we got a good deal until we got home and I looked at the tags.  They looked like leather.  They smelled like leather.  They weren't leather.  Guess the laugh was on us.  But we'll look good this winter anyway!
    

He looks like who???????

     We had just about shopped til we dropped (doesn't take us long)  when my husband spotted a kitchen store.  We had visited one at another outlet last year and found some interesting gadgets so he asked if I wanted to go in.  At first I declined.  But it seemed like he really wanted to go in so we did.  Now this is where it gets good.  The clerk looked at him and gasped.  Staring right at my husband she asked "Are you Brett Favre?"!!!!!!  I busted out laughing!  Now that was one we had never heard before!  Of course we were in Brett Favre country so it wouldn't be impossible for him to be there....unlikely maybe but not impossible.  As I shopped, hubby talked with the clerk, occasionally joining me briefly before going back to talk to the clerk some more.  As we were checking out, we started our usually check out counter banter.  But this time I added a little twist.  I looked at my husband and asked "Brett are you paying for this, or am I?" Hubby grinned and yes the clerk caught what I had said.  She gasped as she looked at me and then at him.  Of course I added "Oh I wasn't supposed to say that was I?"  Then I told the clerk she would know for sure when she looked at my credit card because my husband and I had the same last name.  She was absolutely holding her breath as she looked at my card and saw, alas, that our name was Parks and not Favre.  I explained to her though, that my husband was much more of a hero than Brett Favre could ever be.  But I do still occasionally call him Brett of course!

Yeah right!!!!!
   
     I work in a bank.  No surprise.  A few years ago we were told we could wear jeans on Friday.  A bonus, during football season we could also wear a t-shirt supporting our favorite team.  Now I prefer stilettos and skirts, especially when the weather is warm, so I usually don't participate in jeans day until it gets really cool outside.  Last week we had one of those cool days so I broke out the jeans and the Arkansas Razorbacks shirt.  Because we had an occasion to eat out that night and I didn't have time to change, I went to the restaurant wearing my jeans and t-shirt.  Apparently the neckline was lower than I realized because even our daughter told me more than once to adjust it.  My husband, however, had a different take on the subject.  Grinning, he suggested that we should have gone to Hooters where I would have been mistaken as a waitress and we could have been able to  pay for our meal with the tips I would have made! 
     Now I've never been inside a Hooters and have no desire to go.  I think it's horrible that women are required to dress in revealing clothing for their jobs.  If you've read my blog for very long, you know I am 53 years old so I don't think being mistaken as a Hooters waitress is really something that would happen.  The topic, however, came up several times during the evening, always with my husband starting the conversation.  Until our sons got home from work that is.  Don't know if they had discussed it already or not, but suddenly one of our sons also decided to announce that I would fit in as a Hooters waitress!  Yeah right.  Waitresses.....you have nothing to worry about.  I won't be joining you.  And if I did, I would be telling you to put some clothes on and telling the customers to get home to their wives!
     Knowing how the men in our family would rather get on my nerves as to eat (and that's saying a lot!), I later quizzed my husband as to why they kept saying that.  Apparently he really thought it was a compliment!  So, I guess I'll take that as a good thing.  I think.  I don't know.  But I didn't wear that shirt on jeans Friday this week. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment