Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Don't Let Your Glove Get Swept Away

     Many years ago, and yes I mean meany because I was in Jr High back when bell bottoms were in style, I got a cute pair of gloves for Christmas.  They really came in handy (pun intended) on the long school bus rides over the mountain to and from the boonies each day.  So one day at lunch I happened to be in the hall at school.  The janitor was doing a quick sweep up and down the hall and I noticed a glove that looked just like mine in the pile of dirt, paper scraps, gum wrappers.  I briefly let the thought run through my mind that the glove was mine.  But no.  It couldn't be.  Mine was in my locker along with its mate.
     So I went through the rest of the day and didn't give it another thought.  Until time to go home.  That's when I discovered there was only one glove in my locker.  Frantic, I went back to where I had seen the pile of trash by the big broom that was leaning on some lockers.  Of course the broom was gone and so was the trash.  Funny, about 40 years later and I can still see that pile of rubbish with my glove, right there in the hall.  That building has been demolished but my memory of that glove is still here.
     Regret.  Yeah I had it.  It was Friday afternoon and I wouldn't even be back in town from way out in the sticks until Monday when I rode the cold school bus back for more educating.   I went to the office first thing Monday morning to see if anyone had turned it in, but nope.  I'm guessing the janitor just thought it wasn't a big deal.  It was to me.  It was my only pair of gloves.  Well my only nice pair of gloves that fit anyway.  And one wasn't good without the other.
     So why do these things happen you think?  Maybe a lesson in it?   I suppose I could just chalk it up to carelessness.  And yes there was some carelessness involved.  But what I'm getting at is more than that. 
     I believe sometimes things like that happen to teach us a life lesson or two.  What would have happened if I had just gone over and picked up that glove that looked like mine?  Sure it would have been dirty.  But it could be washed.  And I would have still had a pair of gloves.  Both hands would be warm. 
     What about the remaining glove?  Yeah it was nice.  But it wasn't worth much without the other glove.  Guess I could have walked around with one hand in my pocket since I only had one glove.  But still. 
     You know what the real lesson was for me when I let my glove get swept away?  To be bold.  To not be afraid to step out of my comfort zone.  Back then I was shy, timid even,  and kinda faded into the lockers or whatever other scenery was around.   Lesson learned. No one would call me shy today!
     And one more thing.  People.  If you love someone, don't let them get swept away with the dirt and scraps of paper and gum wrappers.  Do you see a loved one in that pile of rubbish?  What if you are the only one who cares enough to help?  Will you?  No judgement because they got caught in a mess.  Like my glove that I dropped in the hall, maybe you were even a part of that person's undoing.  Maybe you didn't realize it just like I didn't realize I dropped my glove. 
     Is that loved one waiting to be picked up, dusted off and cherished?  Most likely.  Will they remember being in the rubbish?  Probably.  But will their lives be changed for the better because you chose to step out of your comfort zone and do whatever it took to save them?  Most definitely.  Don't let your glove get swept away.  It's something you will always regret. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment