Sunday, May 24, 2015

What Do People Think?

     Ever hear "You're the only Bible some people read"?  Well it's true you know.  Proverbs 23:26, where a father is advising his son, reads "Pay close attention, son, and let my life be your example".  Let's take that a little farther.
     But first I have to tell you something funny that happened just yesterday.  While doing some grocery shopping at Wal Mart, my on-duty firefighter husband texted that they were on their way to Wal Mart as well.  After arriving he called me.  I told him I was in the frozen section and he informed me that the other two guys were walking by there.  I turned around just in time to wave at them.  They just looked at me and kept walking!   This being a new crew, one who had never met me, it was quite funny wondering what was going through their minds.
     As hubby and I met up in the next isle, we walked and talked.  But then he walked in front of my cart and I noticed something.  There, on the seat of his navy blue uniform pants, was the remnants of a milk chocolate bar!   Now comes the dilemma.  What would people think if he continued to walk around Wal Mart with chocolate on his back side?  Would they say something to him?  Or simply take pictures of his chocolate covered tushy and share them on social media?
     Quickly we chose the 'clean-it-off' option.  As we stood in the isle, just outside of the ice cream and frozen treats, I began cleaning off the chocolate.  It was bad.  Even required the ole mom spit trick where you lick your finger and wet the spot.  Now can you even imagine what people were thinking?  Public perception.....some blond woman grabbing the rear of a fireman right there in Wal Mart!  Hmmm......
     Well being the quick thinker he is, my firefighter Captain husband decided to ask his crew if they saw the blond in the frozen isle.  He was going to tell them that this blond not only waved at him but grabbed his backside!  It turned out that they saw us talking to a sweet lady who was doing a food demonstration so I was introduced as his wife instead and I got to ask who put the chocolate in the seat before he sat down.  :)  Still funny wondering just what people were thinking though!
     Now back to serious stuff.  While going through a particular difficult struggle recently I told my husband I just needed to talk about it.  That night he made it a point to let me do just that.  Understanding that I had been extremely upset about a certain situation, he let me talk and talk.  Then he talked.  Remember when I wrote about praying for him to have wisdom? See  Nobody Ever Loved Me Like You Love Me . Well those prayers are definitely being answered.  I've never known anyone so wise.  Perfect?  No.  Wise?  Yes.  He had amazing insight and responses to my concerns.  Things that I just couldn't see clearly because I was too upset, well he knew just what to say.   But the biggest thing that got me......he reminded me that first and foremost I needed to be Christlike. 
     Boy did that hit home.  Convicted me because that wasn't at all how I had been acting.  Calmed me because I knew he was right.  As Christians, we are examples.  If we want others to come to Jesus, how should we behave?  Not like I had been behaving for sure. 
     In the last few days, I am thankful to say that my attitude has changed tremendously.  The situation hasn't changed.  But it's not in my hands.  My job is to be like Christ.  Like my wise husband reminded me.  Will I fail again?  Probably.  Am I concerned about what people think of me?  Not really.  But am I concerned about how I represent my Lord?  Definitely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment