Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Senior Moments

     "November 29, 2015.  The last day of November.  2015?!?!  It's 2017!  They got it wrong!"  This is what I heard recently as an otherwise happy senior sat down to read the Sunday paper.  I'm not sure why she thought November 29th was the last day of November and I have absolutely no clue why she thought it was 2017.  But she didn't seem to let it bother her too long.  Once she got passed the date being wrong on the newspaper, she continued catching up on the local news.  Senior moments.
     Just what is a 'senior' anyway?  If you go by the typical bank, anyone age 50 or over can open a 'senior' account.  That 50th birthday also brings mail.  AARP mail.  When I turned 50 and got that mail, I promptly took the contents they had sent me to read, wrote a note on it letting them know I didn't want their propaganda, put it in their return envelope and sent it back to them.  I just really don't think 50 means you are a senior. 
     Turning 'this age' has brought on some issues though.  One of those------readers.  Not what you would call a fashion statement for sure. And I'm very glad that I can get them at the dollar store because I seem to need at least one pair in every room.  Recently I had put my readers down by a plaque that read "Great is Thy Faithfulness".  When I looked up, the readers were magnifying "Thy".  Now how amazing is that!  Our God was magnified as a result of me getting older!  Guess we could call that a pretty good senior moment.
     Today I talked to a man who turned 90 years old yesterday.  He was very proud of that fact.  He told me that his wife was only 88.  He was quick to add that she didn't look it!  Awwwwwww.........  After 70 years of marriage he was still head over heels in love with her.  He told me how he only remembered having one fight with her and during that fight she threw a new bar of soap at him.  He said the bar of soap was hard but she missed!  He had no idea what that argument had been about.  Today he was concerned about taking care of his wife.  After 70 years he was still fulfilling his role as a husband.  It was so romantic it absolutely made my day!
     Sitting in church recently, my eyes met the eyes of a 104 year old lady.  She smiled slightly and I smiled back.  Not that was a senior moment!  Listening the saintly voices sing "I'll Fly Away", "Do Lord", "How Great Thou Art" and watching the longing on their faces as they sing about their Savior and their home in Heaven.  Watching them smile and hold up their index fingers as they sing "This little light of mine.  I'm gonna let it shine!"  I'm very much learning to appreciate 'Senior Moments'. 
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment