Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Grace and a Fall Afternoon

     It is officially fall although the weather hasn't fully decided that's what it wants to be just yet.  However, this past Sunday we got a little sample of what a cool autumn day can be.  It was beautiful!
     Late that afternoon I started off on my first run in fall weather, donned in my yoga pants to protect me from the 'cold'.  I hadn't gone far before I realized I had a bit of a problem.  Although I had purchased these new yoga pants on clearance and in a smaller size than I had previously worn, it soon became clear that they might not have been such a great buy after all.
     While I am getting used to being watched when I run, I haven't figured out for sure why people watch me.  Is it because I'm older and people are shocked? Or is it maybe that I just run really funny and people don't know what to think?  Usually I don't know the answer.  But this time I figured out pretty quickly why I was being watched.  My pants kept falling down!!!!
    Do they make suspenders for yoga pants??????  Every few steps I was pulling my pants back up!  There was quite a bit of traffic that afternoon and I'm surprised I didn't cause an accident or two!  No one was actually bold enough to point and laugh....although I would have understood!
     Deciding it wasn't worth getting arrested for indecent exposure or causing an accident, after the first mile I chose to walk the rest of the way in hopes of having better wardrobe control.  Not quite the workout I had planned, but it was much easier to keep my pants up!
     There must have been something else floating around in the cool air that day.  For some reason every dog in every back yard decided to let me know he was there and protecting his territory.  I was growled at, barked at and even chased from the other side of fences.  Yet I persevered!  
     That afternoon reminded me that 1. I need to test out my running wardrobe before actually running.  2.  That I like dogs but loud barking dogs are not something I enjoy or even want to be near.  3.  That when life throws things at us like pants that won't stay up and dogs that won't stop barking, we might as well laugh and enjoy.  Giving up is not an option.
    These little things may drive us crazy at times.  But we are so fortunate to serve the only God who provides lessons in such occurrences.  His grace is there to regenerate, to sanctify, to endure.  It isn't a matter of cause and effect.  We do nothing to deserve it.  It's right there.  It's free.  All we need to do is believe.
     "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the GIFT of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."  Ephesians 2:8-9
     


No comments:

Post a Comment