Monday, April 7, 2014

What's Love Got To Do With It?

     Ok before I get started I have a disclaimer.  Had my eyes dilated today and everything is pretty much a blur.  So hopefully there aren't too many typos or words misplaced. 
     Been thinking about love lately.  Not mushy gushy love.  Not I love my cute puppy kind of love.  Just love.  Real love. 
     We read in I Corinthians 13 that "Love is patient.  Love is kind....It does not envy.  It does not boast....It is not proud....Love never fails".  I have a new bracelet with those words.  They are also in the song "Love Is" by Dara MacClean (By the way, her "Wanted" CD is absolutely amazing!) 
     What I find interesting is how so many people think of the 'Love Chapter' as a description of romantic love.  Well in the sense that marriage is the earthly image of Christ (the groom) and the church (the bride) I guess that could apply.  The love we show for one another IS supposed to mirror the love God has for us.  But according to what I read in that chapter it's something we won't fully understand until we are with Him in Heaven.  And I'm not so sure it will matter if we understand it then.  We'll just be thrilled to be with Him for eternity.
     My blurry eyes are making it difficult for me to see.  That's kinda what our image of love is right now.  We see God's love in how a husband loves his wife, a father and mother love their children.  But not how a boy loves his favorite baseball team or a girl loves One Direction.  And certainly not how I used to love chocolate because I've found I can live without it if it means being healthy.  Back on point, the love that we see and feel here on earth is kinda blurry.  Not clear.  Not at all what we will experience when we get to Heaven and experience it unhindered and unending with our Lord.
    Love. Again, I'm not talking about mushy gushy love.  And neither is the Word.  This love is from God.  John 3:16 tells us that God loved the world so much that He sent  His very best from Heaven, His Son Jesus, so that we might be saved.  Wow.  He sent His BEST because He LOVES us that much!  He loves you.  He loves me.  He loves us so much that He sent His Son.  The Word.  Jesus is the Word.  The Word is Jesus (John 1:1).  Jesus is love.  When we realize that, it all changes.  Say it this way:  "Jesus is patient.  Jesus is kind.  Jesus does not envy and doesn't boast.  Jesus is not proud.  JESUS NEVER FAILS!  Faith, hope and Jesus.  But the greatest of these is JESUS!
     Do you know Jesus?  Then you know love.  And you will want to continue on to I Corinthians 14 where you find that knowing Jesus-- love--will bring amazing spiritual gifts so that you can experience His love more fully.  So that you can spread His love more wonderfully.  Do you know Him?  If not, I would love to introduce you. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment