Saturday, May 10, 2014

Glory!

     Once again while taking my walk on a rainy evening, I asked the Lord what to blog about.  Not at the beginning of my walk because I was on the phone.  And the middle of my walk I was texting and stuff.  But He finally got my attention about the time I walked by a cedar tree that was wet with rain and smelling very strongly like, well, cedar.
    "Lord, what do I blog about next?"  I prayed as I took one last look at twitter.  The word "Glory" caught my eye.  Before I sat down to write this, glory had been part of a song I was singing as I gave our puppy Pippa a bath.  It was also part of a message from a new friend.  Quite obviously, glory was to be the topic.
     So just what is glory?   The Boss sings about "Glory Days" talking about the best of times.  A person's glory could be their wealth like Solomon or great strength like Samson.  Someone's or something's glory is what sets that person or thing apart.  So if we are giving someone our glory, does that mean we are giving them the very best of what we are and have?  Hmmmm.....hadn't thought of it that way before.  
     Giving God the glory is something that will be a part of this blog today.  But maybe, just maybe, we need to discuss how to not glorify Him first.  How are you living?  I'm not judging here.  I'm talking to myself as well.  Just what does NOT bring glory to God? 
     We know sin does not bring glory to God.  That's pretty obvious.  What is sin?  Anything that does not glorify God.  Pretty simple.  But who decides what does and doesn't glorify God? Who decides what is and is not sin?  He does.  It's in His Word.  The Word tells us that "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).  So everyone has done it.  A list?  Well it's pretty long.  A few would be, in alphabetical order:
Adultery, backbiting, divorce, envy, hypocrisy, idolatry, lying, pride, stealing, unforgiveness.  The list could really go on and and on.  None of these things bring glory to God.  He will NEVER bless anything He calls sin.  What gives Him that right?  He's our creator!  He is God!  I don't know how you feel about it, but I don't consider myself even close to good enough to argue with Him about this or declare something holy that He has plainly said is sin.
     To make this easy, going from the few sins listed above that do NOT bring glory to God, what  DOES glorify Him? 
Marital faithfulness, saying good things about others, keeping marriage vows, being happy with what you have, honesty, putting nothing and no one above God, truthfulness, humbleness, don't take anyone or anything that does not belong to you, forgive.  Why do these things matter?  Because God said they do.  These things all bring glory to God.  He will bless those who do these things and love Him.
     Do you claim to be a Christian but continue in sin?  How does that make you feel?  How does it make God feel?  If you are doing anything other than giving God your very best, giving Him the glory, you're not living life to the fullest.  You're not living life the way God intended you, His child, to live.  It's time to get alone with the Lord and start on the road to glorifying Him with your life.
     Are you a Christian?  If not, first things first.  Before you have any glory, anything that is the best, you must accept Jesus as your Savior.  There is absolutely NOTHING good in you until He lives in you.  Please pray right now, asking Him to forgive you of your sins.  He truly died on the cross for you.  God gave His very best, His Glory, so that you can be saved.  Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord".  It cost Jesus His life.  And it's free to us.  Praise Him!  Glory!
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment