Thursday, May 1, 2014

I'm a Shoeaholic and I Don't Want Intervention

     Ok I'm not trying to make light of people with serious addictions here.  I actually saw that title on Instagram or Twitter or something.  And it, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, fits me.  Also I've been blogging about serious stuff lately so I thought I would throw in something fun tonight. 
     When I was a kid I remember getting only one new pair of shoes for school each fall and a pretty new pair of Sunday shoes for Easter.  Occasionally we would get an extra pair during the year but usually we just had to make sure there was plenty of growing room in the two or maybe three pair we got each year so they would last.  I remember a pair of Go-Go boots when I was 6.  They started out white but had to be polished often so my parents decided to make them black.  Not sure why they were polished black but later they decided to make them white again.  Which of course resulted in a kinda dingy gray.  But at least I was stylin'. 
     Growing up, almost every school day I wore the same pair of shoes.  Almost every Sunday I wore the same pair of Sunday shoes.  How did I ever survive?  Or maybe that's why I am like I am today.  I would seriously do without food to buy a new pair of shoes!  Especially ones with really high heels. 
     Not long ago I went to the mall with my two youngest kids.  Yes, they are 17 and 19 years old but they still will be seen in public with me occasionally.  Now I don't usually go to the mall.  Too many people.  But the movie we were hoping to see was sold out so we decided to do a little shopping.  While in one particular store that usually has prices too high for me to even consider buying anything, I noticed a huge section of shoes at 65% off.  Of course I was drawn like a fly to honey.  Oh my.  I found pair after pair that I just couldn't live without.....leopard print, red, black, blue, purple, high heels and more high heels and stilettos even.....how could I ever choose????  There were so many beautiful pairs of shoes just my size!  I tried on pair after pair and modeled them for the kids and checked them out in the mirror.  I absolutely fell in love with a bright blue pair of open toed Gianni Bini heels with little shiny black studs all over them.  But I didn't want to stop there!  Oh no!  How could I?
     Ever have your kids take over a situation?  That's what happened that night.  My 19 year old son literally started calling out for a store clerk.  He was begging someone to come check us out before I picked one more pair of shoes.  I just couldn't stop!  He dragged me over to the register and made me pay for that one pair and took me out of the store.  I haven't been back and that's a good thing I guess.  I would love to go back.  And even if I would give up food to have a new pair of shoes, my kids would probably rather eat.
     Boy do my shoes ever get attention!  It was kinda freaky when a man driving an old beat up pick up on a store parking lot yelled out his window as I was wearing those shoes a couple of weeks ago and told me he loved my shoes though.  As he walked by a minute later carrying a fishing rod he commented that my shoes would go with anything.  Hmmmm........
     Twice recently I have been shopping and little girls noticed my shoes.  The first one, in awe, proclaimed "I love your shoes!"  She just couldn't stop looking at them.  Yesterday I was in a warehouse type store.  A little girl was standing right where I needed to go.  Her mother tried to get her to move but she was frozen.  At first I thought she was just being defiant and I think her mother did as well.  Then I realized what was going on.  She was looking at my shoes and just couldn't move!  It was too cute!
     Due to car repair issues, that same 19 year old son who stopped me from spending my retirement on shoes accompanied me to an eye appointment this week.  I was wearing my purple platforms with skinny heels.  There were constant comments.  A cute couple of older ladies mentioned them.  Both were at least in their late 70s or maybe even 80s.  One said she had a pair a lot like them but what she described didn't sound anything like them.  It was so cute though.  And my son got to see his mom's shoes getting lots of attention.
     So whether I'm going to work or church or out on the town (yeah that doesn't happen much).  Or if I'm chasing Pippa the puppy around the yard because she got out when she wasn't supposed to; whatever I'm doing, this 5'2" 52 year old lady will often be found in her amazing shoes.  They make me feel good about myself.  Haha....and they make me taller!

No comments:

Post a Comment