Sunday, March 5, 2017

What If.......

     "Did you hear what she did?  Oh my!  You will not believe it.   Let me tell you........"   Have you ever had a conversation like that and, next thing you know, the person  you were talking about walks into the room.  Boy. Are you ever embarrassed. 
      But what if that person doesn't walk into the room?   What if you go through the whole story and tell all the horrible details and no one hears it but your one friend?   Is it any less wrong if no one else hears it? 
      Or what about this..... what if you are telling this story and Jesus walks into the room?   Would you try to plead your case with the Lord?  "But Jesus.  Did You see what she did to me?   Do You  have any idea how badly that hurt me? "  Or would you just hang your head in shame?
     This thought has been on my mind a lot lately. And I have to confess it has changed the way I feel, think and talk.  
      Yesterday  I spent pretty most  the entire day cleaning out the garage.   One of the items I came across in a box of books was a Bible from when one of the children was in elementary  school.  In the front he had written the date he became a Christian.   It was so sweet to see that in his hand writing.   I open the Bible and  saw Matthew 2:13  underlined.  " therefore keep watch,  because you do not know the day or the hour." 
      Isn't that the way it is?    Jesus could walk in at any moment.  Would you know what to say?    Or what if, right now,  He  returned for those who know Him?  Would you be ready? 
      When I opened  that same Bible to another underlined passage I read from the book of  Obadiah  chapter 1 verse 15  " The day of the Lord is near for all nations.   As you have done,  it will be done to you;  your deeds will return upon your own head."  Are we really ready? 
       Whether I like it or not I guess I am classified as an older woman.   Titus  chapter 2  instructs "older women to be reverent in the way they live,  not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine,  but to teach what is good".  Can I teach this behavior if I don't live it myself ?   Most likely not.   But I can teach it if I am living my life with 'What if........." 

No comments:

Post a Comment