Sunday, March 19, 2017

He's Always There

      I will confess that I am not much of a reader.   Perhaps that's why I write blogs and not novels.   Oh I  used to enjoy reading.   But nothing seems to keep my attention for very long.   Not even movies.   My family would  definitely agree.   Many times we've sat down to watch a movie and I have left the room  to fold  laundry or do some other household chore  and then returned and ask what I've missed.   They finally got to the point where they would pause the movie and wait until I returned.   It was easier that way. 
      But back to reading.   Recently I was writing a financial editorial for a local business magazine.  It was quite a challenge since I actually had to do real research  and leave out most of the funny stuff I would have preferred to put in.   People just don't find it funny when you joke about their money.  
        Anyway I asked some of my family members to read the article and see what they thought.   While at dinner one night with two of my son,  I handed the article  to one of them to read.   His brother and I were shocked that he read it in less than a minute.   Actually it was probably less than 30 seconds.   When we ask him how he read it so quickly, his response answered a question and concern  I have had for years.
      His answer simply was that you leave out the words that are always  there.   You train your mind to skip over those words.   My heart skipped a beat and my mouth dropped open. (Thankfully I wasn't chewing at the time!)  I know both of the boys thought something was wrong with me.   But there was nothing wrong.   It was actually something right.   Something oh so very right.  
       You see  when I read  The Scripture  or a devotional or book or anything that talks about God,  I find myself skipping over the words God, Jesus, Lord or any other name describing my Lord.  For years I have felt guilty that I do this.   I mean how can I skip over the most beautiful words ever?   How could I be so disrespectful?
       But this conversation  changed all that.   I realized that I skip over those words because HE  is always there!    I was not doing it intentionally.   But I do rest  in knowing that my God  is always there.  
       What a wonderful lesson I learned  that night.   My guilt is gone.  My heart is filled with knowing that HE is always there. 
        Now.  Do you know Him?   Would you like to?

No comments:

Post a Comment