Sunday, October 1, 2017

Be Still and Know

     “Be still, and know that I am God......”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭46:10‬a
      I am not good at sitting still and doing nothing.   Especially when I know there are things to be done.   It’s been a crazy week again this week.   And I sure would like to hurry God along.  Why doesn’t He move more quickly?
      Yet I keep being reminded to be still.   Doesn’t He  know how hard this is for me!    Doesn’t He know that I could get this done quickly?   Doesn’t He  realize that all this crazy stuff could be behind us if He would just let me get it done?
       Again He reminds me to be still.   My family can testify to the fact that I can’t even sit still long enough to watch a whole movie with them.  I’m sure I’ve mentioned before how they would pause movies and wait for me to come back after folding a load of clothes or starting a load of dishes. I’m a mover and a shaker!  Even now as I type this my feet are shaking. I just can’t sit still!
      But He reminds me to be still. Perhaps He keeps reminding me because He knows I have such a hard time with it. I’m pretty sure I was born this way!   But it’s not how He wants me to be. At least not with my current situation.
      When we are still we can pay better attention.  When we are still we can focus.   When we are still we can concentrate.   When we are still  we can learn.
       So I believe God is showing me that I need to focus on Him. He’s got this. The whole mess. And if I will just let Him, He will let more truth come out in His time. He will be glorified. It will be for my good.  But if I rush things, I’ll just make this mess worse.
         Consider this.   Have you ever tried to remove a splinter out of a wiggling child’s foot?   Were you able to do it?  You knew it was for the best of the child. But that little stinker just couldn’t sit still for you to get the splinter out.  The wiggling and crying  was definitely causing more harm than good because you weren’t being trusted to do what you needed to do.
         So I guess I’ve kind of been like that  wiggling child lately.   It’s time for me to be still and know.   It’s time for me to trust God completely.  Pay attention to Him.  Focus on Him.  Concentrate on Him.  Trust Him.
          His plan is definitely better than mine.   His timing is definitely more accurate than mine.   And He  knows just what to do when I will just be still and know.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment