Sunday, May 6, 2018

Commencement

     Commencement.  Okay so I'm from the south and some people might call me uncultured.  But we always called it graduation.  In fact, when I hear the word commence, the first thought that comes to my mind is usually something like a line from The Beverly Hillbillies.  Remember Jethro?  He would get upset about something and would say "I’m commencin' to get riled up".
     That being said, I guess you could describe this last week as a week of commencing.  It started on Monday when I finally was set free from a marriage I didn't want to lose.  I believe, as God's Word says, that marriage is a covenant between one man and one woman for life.  That God hates divorce.  Since God hates it, so can I.  Yet I also know that God hates how my kids and I were treated for so many years.  So I am now commencing my new life as a single, but no longer abused, woman.  That makes me smile.
     When this week began, I was doing the work that should have been done by his attorney over a month ago.  For some reason he chose to drop the divorce after court.  I don't know why.  So it was left to me and my attorney to get things finished.  He changed part of the paperwork to benefit him.  The only way to get it changed back would have required a delay and he knew I couldn't financially afford a delay.  He thinks he won.  But he lost.  Big time.  No wife dedicated to him for life.  No complete family.  All because of his choices.
      So now I am commencing my new life.  Not the life I chose.  But I do choose to trust the Lord with it.  Funny thing, I was told twice in one day that I had lost weight, when in reality I've gained.  It must be the 'weight' that has been lifted off me.  Like Jethro, I am commencin' to live!  And it's wonderful.
    Yesterday I attended the college graduations of my two youngest children.  Commencements.  Wow.  How did it happen so fast?  There were some tears and some cheers.  And thankfulness as prayers have been answered so beautifully.  I heard their names announced and I watched them walk across the stage.  Symbolizing commencement.
     I am now the proud momma of 4 college graduates, one of whom has his master's degree, 4 who have really good jobs.... should I go on?  I could you know!  It was only yesterday that I was taking 4 and 5 kids with me everywhere I went.  Piles of laundry, many meals of mac and cheese and chicken nuggets.  Now they do their own laundry and we dined yesterday at a nice restaurant where, instead of mac and cheese, we had baba ghanouj and  bruschetta and goat cheese. (And it was yummy by the way!)
    Commencement.  You know, I'm thinking that every day is a chance to commence.  To begin.  To start out new.  Leave behind what needs to be left behind.  Carry forward what needs to be carried forward.  I don't believing in 'moving on' with life.  I believe in moving forward.  Commencing.  And I'll just tell you what.......I am perfectly happy now....commencing.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment