Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pride or Peace? Can't Have Both.

     You are wrong but refuse to admit it no matter who it hurts.  Pride.  You lie to cover up what you have done.  Pride.  You blame someone else even though you know you are at fault.  Pride.  We could talk all day long about the problem with pride.  Truth is, it's something most, if not all, struggle with.  It breaks up families, causes problems at work, destroys friendships, builds walls between people, and causes a world of hurt.
     The Bible speaks quite a bit about the problems with pride.  Psalm 10:4 says "In his pride the wicked man does not seek Him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God."  Now we just can't imagine someone being so proud they don't have room for God.  Or can we?  I'm not pointing fingers here any more than I'm looking in the mirror.  Until we learn that we aren't always right; until we learn that things can really be our fault; until we seek God and make Him our number one priority, pride is at least  part of our problem if not all the problem.
     I have a confession to make.  I let pride control me for a very long time.  Occasionally it still does. I could blame things from my childhood.  Truth is, I am responsible for my reactions to childhood happenings.  But that nasty ole pride of mine told me otherwise.  I made excuses for my actions.  I blamed others.  I recently had to ask forgiveness for something I had done many times over the years.  After hurting someone I dearly love over and over and over again, I finally realized I had done it because of pride. Wow.  That was a hard pill to swallow.  But it was true.  I had thought I was making my point.  I had thought I was in the right by what I did.  But God recently showed me I was so horribly wrong.  And I'm so thankful He did.  And the restoration of that relationship, well it's absolutely wonderful!
     There is absolutely no peace in pride.  While it may seem right in the beginning, when you're trying to make your point or defend yourself, it most definitely always ends in disaster.  Peace only come with obedience to the Word and the Word tells us we are to be humble, loving, kind and try to get along with everyone.  I'm afraid many of us have a tendency to throw in the towel too quickly, especially on that last one.  And that leads to nothing but heartache and more problems.  Romans 14:19 "Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification."  Peace....not pride.
     Galatians 5 starts out by telling us about freedom in Christ.  Never one time is pride listed as a part of freedom. In fact, verse 13 tells us to serve each other humbly in love, doesn't say proudly.  And verse 15, oh wow...... it says that if we bite and devour each other we will be destroyed by each other!  Pride is a huge part of that.  When we live by the Spirit, however, we bear the Fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 describes the fruit of the Spirit.  Love, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  I didn't see pride listed there, did you?  In fact, everything there is the opposite of pride.
     So which would you rather have, pride or peace?  I tried the pride way for far too long.  That didn't work. Now I am choosing peace.  Wish I had done that a long time ago.  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment