Monday, March 30, 2015

As I Sit Here Thinking......

     As I sit here thinking I look down at my pretty blue, freshly painted toenails.  Why blue?  It's not my favorite color but I like it alright.  The reason I used blue this time though is because it reminds me of our vacation last summer.  After a relaxing day on the beach (relaxing meaning being  in and out of the water and up and down the beach because I'm not very good at sitting still for very long) we spent some time in the pool.  So at the pool a lady and her daughter both had on some beautiful blue nail polish.  Of course when I got the opportunity to buy some blue polish at the Saks in the Pearl, MS outlet mall that's just what I did.  Thus blue nail polish reminds me of our amazing child free anniversary vacation.  And therefore, blue nail polish makes me smile. :)
     Speaking of a lady and her daughter (remember.....the ones with the blue toes at the pool by the beach) I saw another mom and daughter this weekend.  At first I notice that mom was wearing a black outfit with bright silver letters on front.  It didn't hit me just what the letters said until I read the daughter's message on her shirt as well.  I couldn't help but smile and wonder just how could they could be so brave as to wear their 'complimenting' outfits.  Just what message where they sharing with all who would look?  Well in huge shiny silver letters the mom's shirt read 'HOT!'  And in the appropriately sized letters for the little girl?  Well her shirt read 'LOL NOT!' 
     Keeping with the subject of clothing, my daughter and middle son went shopping Friday night.  I knew the store they were going to had a really good clearance sale going on so I asked them to see if there were any cute skirts I might like for a really good price.  Choosing an absolutely adorable short full skirt in a nice gray with sort of a quilted look, they texted a picture to me for approval.  I liked it but I loved that it was only $7.80 minus the 30% off coupon they had!  Putting it on Sunday morning with some black leggings and a black sweater, I started off for church but had a quick stop to make on the way.
     As I've probably mentioned before we have a couple of sons who work at a pizza place and we often have left over pizza at our house.  So on my way to church I stopped by the fire station as hubby had asked that I drop off that left over pizza along with his favorite drink he had left in the fridge....that delectable delight known as V8.   Being in a hurry and not realizing the wind was blowing, I hopped out of the car when I arrived at the fire station and grabbed the pizza and V8.  Just as I got to the door from the outside, my husband got to the door from the inside.  And then it happened.  The wind blew wildly and not only did my hair blow in my eyes where I couldn't see but my skirt flew up as high as it possibly could go!  As my husband opened the door he couldn't help but exclaim "Marilyn Monroe!"  I have to trust him that no one else saw my wardrobe malfunction because I was unable to see anything until he took the pizza and V8 and I got my skirt down and my hair out of my eyes.
    And that brings  me to one last thing I have on my mind tonight.  Hair.  Last week I was looking for a picture of one of our kids.  It was an adorable picture of a little guy in a yellow Easter suit.  We were visiting dad at a fire station on our way to Grandma's for Easter.  At age 2 this boy was already constantly bouncing a basketball almost as big as he was and that picture was of him wearing that yellow suit and carrying a basketball across the fire station parking lot.
     Instead of finding that picture though, I found several others including one from 1989 just 20 days after we were married.  Oh my the hair!  I had long brown hair that had been permed.  He had the style of the day for guys.....ummmm yeah.....basically a mullet!  His hair was curly so it wasn't as mullet-ish as most.  But oh my the hair.  Couldn't help but make that picture the background on my iPad.  I remember that picture being taken.  I remember before we went to eat out with family that night.  I remember the restaurant we ate at in the next town over.  I remember so many things about that night.  But mostly I remember the sweet guy with all that hair who sat by me on the piano bench at our house and who just happened to look at the camera and smile. 
     Now my hair is no longer permed.  It's no longer brown either!  And his hair.  Well there isn't nearly as much of it as there once was.  But that smile.  I'm sitting here looking at that picture.  And I'm sitting here thinking about that smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment