Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Walk Like an Egyptian

     Well depending on your age, once you've read the title of this post you probably have a Bangles brain worm.  Sorry....If it's any consolation, so do I! 
    I don't know that I've been walking like an Egyptian lately but my 'gait' has been something to see.  Early last week we had a date night that ended with dancing.  Well not your normal dinner and dancing.  We went out to dinner all right.  And then stopped by the nursing home for a visit where we were greeted with old time country music.  Couldn't help but grab my husband by the hand and twirl around!  Our show was obviously enjoyed and we had a good time "cutting a rug".  Well-----tile but you know what I mean.
     Anyway, a few days later I was hit with a bout of vertigo.  I found myself grabbing walls, chairs, whatever or whoever was handy when the world suddenly would spin too fast.  Our kids thought they were being funny with comments like "Do we need to get you Life Alert".  Or "Should we get you a walker?  One with tennis balls on the legs and maybe a horn?  It probably comes with a Jitter Bug cell phone."
     While dealing with vertigo is definitely not fun, and constantly explaining 'I'm not drunk!' can get a bit tiring, resting to get over it does allow time for thinking.  In fact, this weekend while resting I felt the Lord encourage me to "take every thought captive" so I looked it up.  2 Corinthians 10:4-5  says "The weapons we use in our fight are not the world's weapons but God's powerful weapons, which we use to destroy strongholds.  We destroy false arguments; We pull down every proud obstacle that is raised against the knowledge of God; We take every thought captive and make it obey Christ."  
     As I often do, I began looking though my thousands of pictures on my phone and iPad so that I could use one as a background for "....take every thought captive and make it obey Christ."  One caught my eye that I had completely forgotten about.  It was taken in either Florida or Alabama I think, almost two years ago as we were working our way home at the end of our vacation.  We had been driving for quite some time and the sun was setting in front of us.  Suddenly it looked like that the road disappeared into water!  It wasn't really a bridge.  Not a high bridge anyway.  It really looked like the road was going down right into the water, right in front of us.  There was no turning around.  No way to go but forward.
     Of course I quickly picked up my phone and started snapping pictures that evening as we drove closer towards what looked like a disappearing road.  And I remembered.  For years I had had dreams about a road that looked exactly like what what in front of us.  There was no way back.  The dream brought on panic and fear.....probably much like the Israelites felt as they stood by the Red Sea.  The closer we got though, the more we could see that we were crossing on dry land! 
     Anyway, as I was preparing the picture with the verse on Saturday, the words "see the Egyptians no more" came to mind.  So, of course, I looked it up.  Wow.  Took those pictures almost two years ago, had those dreams for many years, and God was putting it all together for me that morning! 
     "Moses answered, "Don't be afraid!  Stand your ground, and you will see what the Lord will do to save  you today; you will never see these Egyptians again.  The Lord will fight for you, and there is no need for you to do anything."  The Lord said to Moses.  "Why are you crying out for help?  Tell the people to move forward.  Lift up your stick and hold it over the sea.  The water will divide, and the Israelites will be able to walk through the sea on dry ground.  I will make the Egyptians so stubborn that they will go in after them, and I will gain honour by my victory over the king, his army, his chariots, and his drivers.  When I defeat them, the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord."  Exodus 14:13-18. 
     Did God give the Egyptians chances to come to Him?  I believe He did.  Joseph lived with them for many years and even saved their lives.  Moses grew up with them and they could have learned from his God.  But they were too stubborn.  So stubborn, in fact, that they walked, ran, rode and drove chariots right into the Red Sea as they chased after the Israelites.  Then what happened?  They knew God was Lord!  Did it do them any good at that point?  Nope.  It was too late for them. 
     Do you have any Egyptians in your life?  Don't try to fight them on your own.  Let God lead you out.  Take every thought captive and make it obey Christ.  Don't even allow thoughts of fear or unbelief.  Step out in faith onto dry ground as God rolls back the sea.  Don't look back.  Let God take care of the Egyptians like He said He would. 
     Are you currently walking like an Egyptian?   Is God right there, placing people and situations in your life, like Joseph or Moses, in an effort to bring you to Him?  Are you going to follow Him?  Because, if you don't, there will come a day when every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.  (Romans 14:11)  EVERY knee.  EVERY tongue.  Not just some.  EVERY.  That definitely includes you and me.
 It goes on to say in verse 12 "Every one of us, then, will have to give an account of ourselves to God."   So which will it be?  Every one of us,  EVERYONE OF US, will give an account of ourselves to God.  Will you walk up to the Lord as His child?  Will He say "well done" and welcome you into Heaven?  Or will you walk like an Egyptian, drown in the sea of your own stubbornness, and spend eternity in hell?  It really is your choice.  Please choose wisely before it's too late. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment