Friday, January 22, 2016

Red Frosting

     "Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a real blessing."   Psalm 127:3.  Been thinking about this a lot lately.  As our kids prepare to be on their own, they may not need us so much anymore.  Or will they?  How often do we, as moms in particular, say "you'll always be my baby"?  Our children really never stop being our children.
       We wonder "Did we teach them right when they were growing up?"   I look back and see things I did wrong and wish I could change those things.  "Teach children how they should live, and they will remember it all their lives."  Proverbs 22:6.  That's a hard pill to swallow when you know you haven't done everything right.
     So what are we to do now? Is it too late?  Well, God never gives up on us.  And while we must let our kids make their own way in the world, even as adults we can offer guidance. But, most importantly, we must be examples. Even to our adult children.
     Last week our kids saw a different side of me than they used to.  Looking back through pictures and videos I noticed that I didn't smile much when they were younger.  I don't know why.  But I didn't.  So I have purposed to set a better example by smiling more and being more positive.  Doesn't always work.  But let me tell you about last week.
     While decorating our youngest son's birthday cake (the easy way with a can of frosting and screw on decorating tips) the can malfunctioned.  Our daughter then got red frosting all over her hands.  On a dare from one of her brothers, she proceeded to try to smear red frosting on my face.  I fought back of course!  But she got me anyway while another brother videoed.  Then the birthday boy came up behind her and grabbed her hands, making her smear the red frosting all over her own face!  We laughed so hard!  And of course we've watched the video over and over.
      Did I redeem myself for not being more upbeat and happy when they were growing up?  Maybe just a little bit. Hopefully it taught our kids that mom can have fun and smile and laugh.  And that, even if things aren't going like you planned, it's ok.  Go with it.  Oh. And a little (or a lot) of red frosting smeared on your face can be a good thing. Getting  it out of your hair may take a day or two though!
      What did I learn from the red frosting incident?  That we were being a family.  And I loved it!   In fact, let's do it again haha!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment