Sunday, April 2, 2017

I Made It..........

      OK so lately I have found myself wanting to be creative.   It's almost like I have a bucket list for crafting.   Why just today,  for the first time in my life,  I painted a painting.   I'm not going to share it here  because it kind of looks like it was done by a third-grader.  And I used the paint that we used to paint our outdoor nativity many years ago.  Some of my brushes were stiff and I got paint all over me.  But still.  I got to check it off my bucket list.   And it was pretty fun so I think I'll be doing it again.  Who knows. I might even move up to a junior high level if I keep trying.
      Way back when I was actually in about the third grade we made a project at Vacation Bible School that I never forgot.   An ice candle.  Every now and then over the last  40 something years  I would remember that candle  and wish I could make another.   We were each only allowed to make one and I always wanted a chance to do it again.   So  I started saving my almond milk cartons (I'm sure we didn't use almond milk cartons back then)  and bought some wicks.   Finally,  last weekend,  I did it!  I made three ice candles!  And somehow the first one turned out the exact same color as the original one that I made so many years ago. Wow. The ole bucket list is getting shorter.
      Over the years my mom has quilted and crocheted  blankets and afghans for our family.  My grandma used to make all of our clothes.   So part of my bucket list included being able to make something for my family.    About 5 months ago I decided to make tie fleece blankets for everyone for Christmas.  And  I wanted to make them special for each person in our family.
      With a huge  stack of  fleece hidden as best I could so no one would see what I was doing, I began my project.  As I cut  and tied the fleece,  I prayed for the person I was making a blanket for.   Each person was prayed for diligently as I tied from one corner of their blanket  to the next.   And when I presented them with the blankets and told them how they were covered in prayer,  the sweetness that filled  the room was amazing.   One of the kids in particular thanked me  later and said that he was overwhelmed to know that someone cared enough about him to pray for him as they tied each knot.   And I suddenly knew the reason why I needed to make a blankets.
        While working on this bucket list is fun,  the best part has been  being able to share God's love with my family through those blankets.   Knowing my family is not just covered with a blanket but covered  in prayer and in God's love is the sweetest part of my bucket list so far and more satisfying than checking off every single item on the list...........

No comments:

Post a Comment