Sunday, January 28, 2018

duunnn dunnn...duuuunnnn duun... Oh no!

     duunnn dunnn...duuuunnnn duun... duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnn dunnn.  Ok, I confess.  I asked Siri how to type the beginning the the theme from Jaws. No, I was not attacked by a great white shark this week.  It was something scarier.  That dreaded 'F' word.  Yep.  The flu.
     Somehow I've managed to outrun the flu for over 56 years.  I've never had a flu shot and don't understand why normally healthy people take them.  And, if I've ever even had a hint of that dreaded seasonal nemesis, I don't remember it.  So, I'm pretty sure I can say this was my first experience.
     Boy.  When it hits, it hits.  Monday night was spent eating at my favorite restaurant with my youngest son.  Tuesday morning I woke up with the feeling that something just wasn't quite right.  I tried to shake it off.  Talk to myself.  I cheered myself on as I got ready for work but my back flips and high kicks weren't as enthusiastic as they usually are.  So I dropped a thermometer in my purse, just in case.
     By the time I finished a short presentation, chills had hit me a couple of times.  I wrapped up a few things at my desk as my head hurt worse and worse and my temperature got higher and higher.  By the time I knew I had to leave, I was ready to be snuggled up in a blanket and just hidden away in a dark corner somewhere.
     Unfortunately, I knew I needed to go sit in a clinic and wait for a real diagnosis.  So I did.  It was a newer, nice clinic and my wait wasn't as long as I've waited in the past, but every minute was long and painful.  I did manage to joke with the nurse that I wasn't a fan of the 'f' word.  She told me I would like the nurse practitioner who would be in to see me and apparently informed him about my ban of that word.
     "So you don't like the 'f' word" he said almost immediately.  "Then how about the 'i' word......influenza."  Wow.  I guess he thought he was really funny.  "They told me I would like you" I replied, sounding as annoyed as I could muster.  But yeah, he was nice. 
     I left with instructions and a prescription.  My youngest son was still in town so he ran a couple of errands for me before leaving.  I then spent most of the next 48 hours asleep.  Not getting up unless I didn't have a choice.  Sharing sleeves of crackers with Pippa my Pomeranian on the occasions I felt like eating but mostly so I could take my meds. 
     Finally, on Thursday afternoon, I made myself take a shower for the first time since Monday night.  (At that  point, I'm sure it was a good thing that I live with just my dog!)   After not brushing my almost waist length hair in over 48 hours and spending most of that time in bed, even a shampoo and lots of conditioner didn't do the trick.  Getting the tangles out was exhausting!
     So, what did I learn from all of this?  Well several things actually.  1.  It's ok to be still when I need to.  2.  It's ok to not shower if I'm sick.  3.  That I still enjoy a quiet day at home but the being sick part was a bit much.  4.  And that I still have no plans to get a flu shot next year, or ever for that matter!
     We often fear things we've never experienced.  Just like I had a dreaded fear of the flu.  Not that I look forward to getting it again or anything, and I hope I never do.  But I've made it out the other side.  Well, almost.  I'm still kinda tired.  And I know I'm going to make it through other things too. 
     "No weapon formed against me shall prosper."(Isaiah 54:17)  I love this verse.  It doesn't mean we won't have problems or that weapons won't be formed against us.  It means, that if we trust the Lord, those weapons may hurt us, they may be used against us, but they won't win.  I had to relax, be still, at let the my body heal from the flu.  We must relax, be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10) and let Him do what He does best, be God. 
     So yeah, even having the flu can teach us a lesson.  Now I need to ask you a question.......Do you know Him?  Would you like to?  I'd love to introduce you to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment