Sunday, January 7, 2018

Candlelight

     Since I was like 7 years old I had wanted to do it again. I had kept it in the back of my mind almost 50 years!  So I determined several months ago that it was time. Time for what you ask?  Time to make ice candles!
     I googled directions and saw some gorgeous candles. Reasoning that I had made one oh so long ago, back in the olden days, when we used a simple page from a crafting book for Vacation Bible School, there was no way I could fail with all these instructions.
     So I gathered the almond milk cartons I had been saving (a little different than the whole milk ones with the Borden cow from way back when), the wicks, food coloring, wax and ice.  As I melted the wax in the pan, I could hardly wait to recreate my treasure.
     I poured the wax into the carton of ice and could hear the crackle of hot meeting cold. Somehow I had managed to duplicate the color I had made in my youth. It was going to be perfect!  So I just couldn’t stop there.
     Two more candles. One all white and one that was red and white. Wow!  I could even give these as gifts!  This was easy. Maybe I could start a new trend. I burn lots of candles so I could save money making them for myself even. The possibilities were endless!
     Then came the time for the unveiling. Or, rather, the pealing off of the almond milk cartons.     Hmmmmm......  Not exactly as I had planned.  Three candles that looked good from some directions but not one that could stand on its own.
     I must say I got a little discouraged at that point. A stove covered in splattered and spilled wax. And not one candle that could be displayed. Well, at least not as I had imagined. And if I was going to have a messy kitchen, surely I could get at least one good candle out of it.
     Then, today, I got them out. I set them up. Together. What appeared to be a mess separately, made this pretty arrangement. You know, that’s how it often is in life.  Separately, we seem like a mess and can’t stand alone.  Broken parts. Holes. But, when we lean on each other, we shine brighter. We gain strength from each other.
     I’ve tried to do things on my own for a long time. But God had a better plan. Oh it’s ok and even good to stand on your own. But, there are times when we need to lean on others. And I’m so thankful for those the Lord has given me to lean on.  Together, we shine brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment