Thursday, January 1, 2015

God's Peace and Warm Cozy Socks

     As I sit here looking at the Christmas tree and knowing it has to come down, it's not the work I dread. It's packing away the memories. I love everything our tree stands for!  So many memories surround the ornaments. Births. Vacations. Family. The celebration of the birth of our Savior.  The lights. The warmth. The joy. Yet I know it's time. But not until I finish writing today. :)
     It's cold this first day of 2015. Rainy. Dark. I love this kind of day.  Yeah I know that's not the norm and that's just fine with me.  Cold rainy days remind me of so many good things. Like the smell of warm cashews. Back in the day it seemed the only time we could go to the big city (which is the town I've now lived in for most of my adult life) was if it was a cool, rainy summer day. Our first stop back then was always Kmart. Yeah that was a big deal to us!  And we were always greated with the smell of warm cashews as we walked into the store. My mom and her mom would need to shop. I preferred to just smell those amazing cashews!  In fact I would still rather smell warm cashews as to shop.
     Another thing cold rainy days remind me of is my dad's mom. Mamaw. Both my grandmothers pretty much wore dresses year around and wore stockings in the winter. But I guess Mamaw's feet would get cold so sometimes she would wear my grandpa's socks. She's been in heaven for close to 30 years but it's like I can still see her standing in the kitchen wearing a dress and Papaw's black dress socks.
     Looking back I kinda wondered why she didn't wear socks of her own. Maybe she didn't have any. Maybe his were warmer. Or maybe wearing her husband's socks made her feel happy, warmer and protected. I have to admit, I have on a pair of my husband's socks right now. I started wearing his socks with boots at first because I was in a hurry and could find his socks quicker than I could find mine amongst my tights, leggings, socks for exercise etc. Then I realized they actually were warmer. I have to wonder why manufacturers would make men's socks warmer when women usually have cold feet. Oh well. This works.
     So while the thought of my grandmother wearing my grandfather's socks kept popping up in my mind, an interesting thing happened. A friend texted me about God's peace. She said to her God's  peace was like warm soothing sunshine covering you when it's raining all around. She asked me what God's peace was like to me.
    My reply: Well I like rainy days so they don't usually get me down. But I love having warm socks! I relayed the story about my grandmother wearing my grandfather's socks and how the vision of her doing so kept popping up in my mind. I continued to explain that I have been wearing my husband's socks lately and how much warmer my feet have been. Plus, somehow there's a secure feeling when I'm wearing his socks. So, as strange as it may seem, wearing my husband's way too big but oh so warm socks is how God's peace feels to me.  Comfortable. Secure. And if my feet are cozy the rest of me is usually pretty cozy too.
     What's God's peace like for you?  Do you ever experience His peace?  God's peace is only experienced and enjoyed when we are living in obedience to His Word. One of my goals for 2015 is to experience warm cozy feet all year long. God's peace.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment