Monday, January 12, 2015

The Parks are Parked

     I don't often brag about my kids.  Well yeah I do.  But I've got a lot to be proud of!  The first time I became a mom was when my husband and I married over 25 years ago.  He had a little blonde bundle of energy who stole my heart.  In fact, the first time he spent the weekend with us after we married, my new 2 1/2 year old son and I clung to each other and cried when daddy had to take him home.  Then daddy cried.  It was a mess.  After they left I folded laundry and cried as I put away those tiny clothes.  Tomorrow that little boy will be 28 years old.  Oh my.  How did life go so fast? 
    Well pretty soon we had two more little boys.  Now I guess most people would think that was enough.  Even more than enough.  But we made pretty kids.  Smart kids.  So why not have another!  Of course we just knew number four would be a girl.  Wrong.
     So, 20 years ago tomorrow night, we celebrated our oldest son's 8th birthday.  I'm pretty sure cowboy boots were involved.  With this birthday celebration, all the boys had them.  Well except for the one who was about to be born.  But I'm thinking he may have thought he was wearing cowboy boots.  I distinctly remember sitting on the couch and being kicked from the inside so hard that I stood straight up instead of doing the usual weeble wobble to get up.
     The next couple of days our three little boys played cowboys and just had a general good time.  I was humongous.  Even a man at our church announced that I looked miserable.  Thanks.  I spent that Sunday afternoon nesting and preparing for our new little one.  Dad spent the afternoon napping.  In fact we even videoed him napping and blowing bubbles as he snored haha!
     We all went to bed that night as usual.  A normal night.  Until around 1:30 in the morning when I woke up breathing "who who who who who who who" and reaching around to grab my husband so he could share in the contraction!  On full alert, he sat up and we timed the next contraction, called the doctor, the babysitter and grandma.  As I gave instructions to the babysitter, pausing to grab the wall as I breathed through another contraction, she laughed and told us to get to the hospital.
     So off we went to hatch boy number 4.  All checked in and trying to relax as much as possible, I asked hubby to sing to me because it always made me feel better.  He asked what I wanted him to sing.  I told him I didn't care, just to sing.  Should have thought that one through.  Next thing I knew he was belting out a country tune, "I will admit it.  I got a think-in prob-lem.  You're always on my mind."  Well at least he made me forget the pain for a bit. 
     Things progressed and contractions got closer and closer together til it happened.  Between "who-who" breaths I said "my water broke!"  So my husband, ever the calm, collected one, pushed the button to call the nurse.  When asked what we needed he said very calmly as if ordering a burger at a drive through "Yes.  My wife believes her water broke."  Now just how does he do that?  Calm.  Cool.  Collected.  As always.
     Back at home, grandma had arrived and took over for the babysitter.  Letting the boys wear whatever they wanted, they arrived at the hospital wearing sweats and cowboy boots.  Yep.  My boys.  And they got there just in time to meet there new little brother who arrived at 9:59 AM, eyes wide open and taking in his new world.  A call from our pastor to see how things were going not long after our new son made his entrance into the world provided a well thought out comment.  He proudly announced that "The Parks are parked at Sparks" (Hospital).  Anyway, by that night our son was propped up in my bed while I stood by videoing this amazing new son of ours as he looked around the room.
     Fast forward 20 years.  Wow.  I can't believe he's about to not even be a teenager anymore.  We still will have one teenager though.  19 years ago tonight we found out number 5 was on the way.  A surprise.  And a surprise yet again when this time we got our girl!   All 5 unique individuals.  All 5 a blessing.  All 5 who love driving us crazy at times!  And the one who is turning 20 this Friday, well here's what he has been up to lately.  Zack Parks, "Thinking Out Loud"  Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment