Sunday, December 31, 2017

It Really is Well With My Soul

     As most of us do this time of year, I’ve been doing some reflecting. Only thing, I don’t usually do it that much. At least not for the last 20 something years. Reflecting made me think of the hurts and how far we had not come and how things were worse instead of better and I would much rather just go to bed early and sleep through the whole thing instead of ringing in the new year.
     But this year is different. While I can’t promise I will be awake at midnight, this time I can look back and see a difference. See growth. See where God took some horrible stuff and used it for good!  I’m fact, I kinda feel like I’m on the outside of the turmoil now. Like there is a storm going on inside a glass dome but I’m on the outside looking in.
     I can’t say those winds never hit me. In fact, there are times they knock me down even. But, more and more, I get up, dust myself off, smile, and watch to see what God is going to do with those winds.
     It is well with my soul. It really is. While I know I haven’t faced what the author of those lyrics faced, and many people have suffered greater than I have, behind the smiles have been pain and suffering for years. Pain that I wouldn’t wish on anyone. Just this year the medical tests alone, because of someone else’s choices, were stressful, painful and costly.
     Financial issues build daily, yet I know the Lord will provide. I may lack manicures and pedicures but I don’t lack food and shelter. More importantly, I have my family and a relationship with each one. That wasn’t the case when this year began. But the love and respect is growing. I can feel it!  Something money can’t buy.
     I also am thankful for a new friendship. One that, I am sure, makes the devil stomping mad for many reasons!  And that’s just too bad for him.  Jesus has come into the hearts of two special people (so far!) that the devil just knew he had his nasty claws on. But the Lord had a better plan!  There once was a time I would have gotten in the way. But no more. I can’t be like Jesus and decide who does and doesn’t deserve to know Him. To be like Him, I have to know that, if His love is for me, it’s for everyone else too!   And while I never intentionally got in God’s way, now I know what it’s like to step out in faith, trusting Him to use me for good.
    I don’t know what 2018 holds any more than I knew what 2017 held. But I’m thankful for that day last March when I yielded to Him and truly obeyed. That’s when healing began. That’s when God was free to move forward in me. The freedom and restoration has continued to grow since that day.
     My plans for 2018? To be more like Jesus.  To step back and watch what He has planned. Even if it involves car issues, doctor appointments, legal stuff, and some disappointments. He has blessed me so much this year through, what most people would consider, a horrible mess. But, at the end of next year, I want to be able to say the same as this year.  The same as this bracelet that was given to me by a precious friend. It is well with my soul. It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment