Thursday, February 25, 2016

Dates

  





   Dates.  Birthdays.  Wedding Anniversaries.  We all have dates we remember, or at least we should!  But for some reason my brain recalls unusual dates and odd details about them.
     For instance.  25 years ago tonight my husband and I ate at a local buffet called Bonanza.  Why do I remember this?  Because I was huge pregnant and the next morning we were in the hospital preparing to birth our son!   Guess it was a good thing that I just couldn’t eat much of my taco salad that night.   And a good thing that he ate a lot because he chose to not have food during labor and delivery since I couldn’t.   (Awwwwwww)
     March 16th.  Now just why would that date be important?   Well I remember it being the birthday of one of my uncles.  And I remember having a little party for him out our house when I was a kid.  And on that March 16th I also remember one of my cousins being there and asking for my mom’s green food coloring because she wanted to put a green streak in her hair for St Patrick’s Day!  But what else is there about March 16th?  Well it always reminds me of John 3:16.  “ For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whosoever believes in Him would not die but have eternal life.”
     What happened on March 17th of that same year?  Well I watched my cousin with the green hair run in a track meet haha! It was a cold, sunny and very windy day.   And for some reason my brain reminds me of that almost every year.  But my heart reminds me that “God did not send His Son into the world to be its judge, but to be its Savior” John 3:17.
     August 51992.  We were presented with a cake that said “Happy Anniversary”.  Why would I remember this date?  Because we had just had our third son the day before and we were in the hospital on our anniversary.  White frosting with yellow writing!
     Friday, April 13, 2001.  A sunny Friday.  A day of restoration in our family.  A day that was special and we took lots of pictures.  A day that was chosen by God for the occasion of recommitment.  How do I know God chose this day?  Because on Monday  March 5, 2001 we were putting on the Armor of God and quoting scripture.  Back then the kids liked to quote lots of verses and I seldom had time to get one in before dropping them off at school.  But this day was different.
     I can tell you exactly what house we were passing when the kids finished up and I had to come up with a verse really fast.  We were passing the home of one of my husband’s co-workers.  Oh my!  Think fast mom!  You’re up!  “I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me! Philippians 4:13” I said quickly.  Whew.  I remembered one!  But wait.  4:13.   That was the date we had discussed using for our special occasion.  Our recommitment.  But I had been unsure.  “Lord?  Is that You?  Are you trying to tell me something?”
     I drove on to work, praying.  As I entered the building and turned on the radio, I heard Steven Curtis Chapman singing “I can do all things, through Christ who gives me strength………”  Wow.  If that wasn’t God…….  Right.  It WAS God!  And still is!
     That verse has been my go-to verse since 2001.  Whenever things are hard,  the verse will appear.  God reminding me that, as long as I trust in Him, I can do this!  And when things are good, a reminder that He is there all the time. 
     I could go on and on about dates.  But you get the idea.  And every day is important.  God has a special plan for us today.  And I’m expectantly waiting!  How about you?
     

No comments:

Post a Comment