Sunday, March 4, 2018

But if You Know

     So today in church, I did what I often do.  After the scripture was read for the sermon, I read on.  And I highlighted it on my Bible app.  Then I took a screen shot.  And I looked back at it again.  Obviously this scripture was really speaking to me.
     While the sermon was about how important it is to go to church and to spend time with other Christians and how church has influenced our lives, I took notes.  But I also began to think deeply about this:
 “For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:26-31‬ ‭ESV‬‬
     I couldn't help but think about this off and on all afternoon.  How sad it must be to be that person who knows the Truth but turns away.  They must hurt so badly.  The ones who once lived for Him, lead others, shared His Word, sang His praises, prayed, worshiped Him.  But they turned away, choosing to live the way the world said was right.  Enticed by sin's shinny facade.  Knowing the truth but deliberately choosing the gold plated over real gold.
     How they must hurt.  And depending on how long they have lived this way, they may not even still realize the reason why.  They were once His people.  But this scripture says God will judge His people.  Not just those who never knew Him.  But those who knew Him and turned away.  To some He gives chance after chance.  Those are often the ones who have people praying for them and He honors those prayers for these wayward loved ones.  But if they don't turn back, they leave God no choice.  Because God can't tolerate sin.  If He did, He wouldn't be God and the sacrifice of Jesus wouldn't be the true sacrifice that He was.
     He does offer mercy though.  “if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
‭‭2 Chronicles‬ ‭7:14‬
     He meant it then and He means it now.  But it can't happen without repentance.  Do you know anyone who knew Him and turned away?  Does your heart break for them?  Even those who have hurt me.  While I still need to heal and I am learning that I am just as important as they are, I still hurt for their spiritual being.  And I want them to come back to Jesus.  I pray I do nothing to hinder that.
     To face the wrath of God, to know you will face the wrath of God, I can't imagine living that way.  If you are one of those people, please turn back to Him.  Today.  Don't wait another minute.  It's the only way you won't face His vengeance.  God does not tolerate sin from any of us.  But He does offer mercy.  Forgiveness.  When we ask.  Please turn back to Him today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment