Sunday, March 11, 2018

Fixer Upper

     I used to get mad when God didn't do things like I thought He should.  I've had absolute fits even.  I would pray and claim scripture.  But then, when things didn't turn out immediately how I expected, wanted, and just knew they should, well everybody knew my opinion on that.
     But He has done so much work on me in the last year or so.  I've been a real fixer upper.  One that would have given Chip and Joanna Gaines a run for their money.  Needing much more than a coat of paint, some reclaimed wood and ship lap, I believe even they would have realized that this fixer upper could only be changed one way.  By the Word of God.
     On the show, the houses that look like they need to be given up on are usually the ones that turn out the most beautiful.  And some just need some sprucing up, new flooring here, new cabinets there.  But nothing changes at all until the houses are yielded completely into the hands of the designer and carpenter.
      So how is that like me?  Well, maybe like you too even.  You see, it doesn't matter what degree of disrepair we are in, if we are not yielding to God, trusting Him completely, letting Him lead, completely, then we are still a fixer upper in need of repair.  It's that yielding that brings about the beauty.
     Psalm 37 has been on my heart all day today.  I've listened to it play over and over from the Bible app.  King David wrote the Psalm and it talks about how God will not forsake His saints.  Do you know Him?  If you do, then that's you.  And me.  His saints.  I wish there was room here to talk about the whole chapter.  Please go read it!  But for now, we will talk about some of the the parts that have helped this fixer upper today.
    "Fret not yourself because of evildoers; be not envious of wrongdoers!  For they will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.  Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.  Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."  Psalm 37:1-4  Oh boy, I could just keep going here.  This is some good stuff.
     But let's talk about this.  Now I could interpret this the way I used to, or I could take it for what it really says.  And what it really says is don't worry.  When others wrong you, don't worry.  Trust the Lord.  Be faithful.  Do what you know He wants you to do.  When your goal is to please Him, He will give you the desires of your heart.  And you know what that means?  You WILL please Him!  How cool is that!!!!
     You know, there are times it looks like everything is going wrong.  That's when I used to give up and say God didn't do what He said He would.  People didn't listen.  Everything was a mess.  What I failed to do was trust God's timing.  And what if that mess was part of His plan?  In fact, most masterpieces start with messes.  But I couldn't see that before.  Today, however, it's becoming much clearer to this fixer upper.
     "The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; He is their stronghold in the time of trouble.  The Lord helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in Him."  Psalm 37: 39-40
     Where is your refuge?  Where is your delight?  Do you give up too soon while there is still a mess and the fixer upper isn't completed yet?  My Lord is my refuge.  I delight in Him.  My desire is to please and honor Him with my whole life.  Even when things look like they aren't going my way, I know God has a better plan and I'd just better hang on.  Because He doesn't go back on His word.  And He's about to do something even more amazing for this fixer upper!  And you know what......I'm ready for the reveal!
     

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment